The journey of life comes with obstacles. It's not about conquering those obstacles, but it's about how you handle them. I believe that life is what you make of it and it is important to capitalize on every single day. There are only so many things that you can control. The rest is out of your hands and it's important not to dwell on them. This blog is my story and the lessons I am learning along the way.

Friday, June 11, 2010

A twist on Deviled eggs...

A couple weeks ago, I was fortunate to attend the Whole 9 seminar. Melissa and Dallas were amazing! They explained how and why certain foods affect our body. They broke down the way our body digests foods and the optimal Pre and Post workout meals. I learned a large amount of fabulous information. If you have never heard of Whole 9, I highly suggest you visit their website ASAP! www.whole9life.com

I am currently participating in their Whole 30 program. For those of you who are not familiar with Whole 9, this is 30 days of eating fresh veggies, fruits, meats, nuts and seeds. This means absolutely NO SUGAR, no dairy, no legumes, and no processed foods. I am on Day 11 and going strong. I feel stronger than ever and I have a solid amount of energy through out the whole day. I sleep great at night and for the past 5 days, I have woken up before my alarm. Love it! You can tell that my body is totally digging me eating like this because I have no stomach discomfort at all. I am really excited to see the results at the end of 30 days. I will keep you posted.

In the mean time, I have found that planning my meals is critical! Most people fail to eat healthy because of lack of planning. Each week, I plan out my meals and go grocery shopping for the week. I have no excuses. By keeping my refrigerator and pantry stocked with healthy food choices, I am teaching myself to eat this way. Now it is a habit and permanent lifestyle change. However, it does take time. I didn’t stop just cold turkey. In January of 2010, I started to slowly cut out grains, dairy and legumes. Six months later, I am eating 100% primal/paleo/caveman/healthy…whatever you want to call it! Nutrition is something I am continuously working on. There is always going to be bad days and good days. As for now, I am making sure that the good days far out number the bad days.

Here is a recipe that I recently made for my family BBQ. It was amazing and these are great snacks to pop in your mouth when you are in a hurry. Enjoy:)

Guacamole Deviled Eggs

-12 Hard boiled eggs
- 4 ripe Avocados
- 2 limes
- 4 T. chopped white onion
- 4 T. chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. approx garlic powder (possible more for taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T. fresh Dill

Directions:
1.Cut peeled eggs in half length wise and place 6 yolks in a mixing bowl,set the whites aside. Mash the yolks with the back of a fork and add avocados, onion, lime juice, cilantro, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix with fork until there are small chunks. (or mix until smooth if you like your guac that way.)

2.Spoon or pipe the filling back into egg white.

3.Sprinkle with fresh dill.



4.Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving.

Here is how mine came out...

3 comments:

  1. I can attest to these deviled eggs, they are awesome a flavor all in its own! You are doing great Ali, proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can personally add that they eggs were fabulous and enjoyed by all! Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!....The guac recipe I sole from little sister taylor and modified it with the egg yolk!

    ReplyDelete