The journey of life comes with obstacles. It's not about conquering those obstacles, but it's about how you handle them. I believe that life is what you make of it and it is important to capitalize on every single day. There are only so many things that you can control. The rest is out of your hands and it's important not to dwell on them. This blog is my story and the lessons I am learning along the way.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Safety Box

Spring is in the air in Fort Collins today. The park was busy with families and friends gathering together to enjoy this wonderful world we live in. The sun is out and shining its beautiful light down upon us all. As I sit here, I can’t help but smile. Everyone is so happy and all the anxiety in day to day life is removed. Today the world seems perfect.

It is days like these that I look forward to in my life, a day of peace and relaxation. It is so easy for people to get caught up in life, while forgetting to LIVE IT! I think that everyone gets in such a routine and a comfort zone that they are just able to go through the motions. But what happened to fun and excitement? Well, it slowly disappears because we are trapped by our own habits that we created. Unconsciously, we keep ourselves locked in a box. The box represents our safety zone; a place that we grow to know everything inside; a place that we know will not throw any surprises at us; a place of comfort.

Imagine your life differently…yes, I know this is hard. We are so use to this safety box that it has actually hindered our ability to think outside of it, but I challenge you to make a change today. Step outside of your box into the world of the unknown. Change is hard, but change is good. It helps build your confidence, improves your outlook on life, provides new experiences that facilitates learning and personal growth, and it opens the door to new opportunities. The hardest part of making a change is taking that first step, but I can assure you that once you take that first step out of the fear….then life can stimulating and fun.

My mom called me this morning in tears. These were tears joy and fear. She is about to embark on a wonderful change in her life. Recently, my mom has decided to accept a new job in a new town away from where we call home. She is happy that a new opportunity has opened up, but she is scared to leave her comfort zone. This comfort zone represents 30 years of her life. It’s a place that warms her heart and carries countless memories. To say the least, this change is going to be rough. The crazy thing about change is that affects everyone. Not just the person experiencing it, but the people you surround yourself with in your life. This particular change will affect my family, my mom’s friends, co-workers, and even our adorable dogs. This new experience can be ABSOLUTELY frightening to everyone. Change is uncomfortable and in turn we automatically hate it! However, my mom did remind me that when BIG changes take place in our life, it is extremely important to keep your support system close.

Change does not have to be a bad thing. I think that there is ALWAYS something good that comes from it. Change requires you to think about life in a new way. It allows you to discover new things about the world and yourself. You can make a change today!

Start with baby steps. Change can be gradual and it doesn’t have to be big.

1. Start changing the little details in your life. Maybe take a new route to work, try a new restaurant, wear something you wouldn’t normally wear, or listen to new music. These changes may seem small and irrelevant, but they will help guide you later and make you less hesitant to try a bigger change. They will also help you get use to how change feels. Change is awkward and scary. The more you can experience change, the less terrifying it will be for you to step outside of your box.

2. Don’t be afraid to make a fool of yourself. We are often held back by the fears of being judged by others. Who cares?! Go out and do it for yourself, not for the for a complete stranger who knows nothing about you. Act goofy for once. Everyone knows that no one is perfect and I bet you if you let people see your “foolish,” or crazy side…they will learn to love those imperfections because it makes you exciting and fun to be around.

3. Enjoy the ride. Once you can step outside of your box into the unknown, your life will become a rollercoaster. There will be ups and downs with twists and turns, but it will only make you a stronger individual. This new ride will help you grow to better understand yourself and encourage your inner soul to fly. Remember life is too short to stand around, so hop on the rollercoaster and enjoy the ride.

I encourage you to be curious about life. Soak up all it has to offer and break down your barriers. Let good thoughts rush through your mind. Capitalize on every single day.

I am going to leave you with a quote from my mom as food for thought…
"Have fun. Seek adventure. Change your life in a wonderful way!" -Mom

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ali....loved your blog today! You help inspire me as I get ready to take a huge leap out of my "box"! I remember the quote at the end of your piece - you were getting ready to head off to Australia and I was so happy for your adventure....thanks for being happy for mine. Love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you remember that quote! It is still my favorite to this day because it reminds me not to be scared and to enjoy life's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ali and Mom, You both are going to leave your safety box together, but change is good. We never want to leave that safety box but you know that the outside of that safety box is a whole new world, a better world. I left that safety box 22 years ago after I had been in it 36 years, you were 6 months old, I had the same job of teaching for 16 years, you were my total joy, I had a wonderful family, friends, I grew up there but I had to leave that comfort zone, I cried, I was scared, I wanted to go back but look where I am today, I love what I have now, I would not go back, it is wonderful and you both will know that too! And the most important thing to remember is that you have a tremendous amount of love and support! Change is hard, but change is good! Remember life is a trip and it will be all good! I am proud of both of you for the new life you are about to endure, and remember I will be by your sides the total way. I will laugh with you, cry with you, and will be scared with you but in the end you will have fun and enjoy the ride and you won't want to go back! I love you both with all my heart and it will be GREAT and it will be worth all that fear and tears!!! Enjoy the trip! KK

    ReplyDelete