The journey of life comes with obstacles. It's not about conquering those obstacles, but it's about how you handle them. I believe that life is what you make of it and it is important to capitalize on every single day. There are only so many things that you can control. The rest is out of your hands and it's important not to dwell on them. This blog is my story and the lessons I am learning along the way.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Happy 90th Birthday Nona!



This past weekend my whole family gathered together for a good old BBQ to celebrate Nona’s 90th birthday! Yes…I said 90. I mean who do you know that lives to be 90 these days? Oh and I forgot to mention that at the age of 90 her and my 93 year old grandpa still live in their own house on the dairy farm. She still drives to town every Friday for groceries and to get her hair done; she still cooks 3 fabulous meals a day and cleans the house until it is spot free. At the age of 90, Nona has memory that puts mine to shame. This lady remembers everything and forgets nothing!

At our family BBQ, I asked her...“Nona, what is your secret? How are you so mentally and physically strong at the age of 90? I want to live to be 90.” With a cute and soft chuckle, she responded...“I guess I am just lucky.” What? I don’t think so! I don’t think being able to go out and work the garden and irrigation system at the age of 90 is called luck. I think she has led a very different lifestyle than what we all do. Since she decided not to respond to the question, I have come up with my own ideas on how to live to be 90.

1. Eating close to the source has a lot to do with longevity. Being raised on a diary farm, Nona has always eaten fresh veggies and fruits from her own garden. Every morning, she starts off her day with milk squeezed right from the cow. Not to mention, she got her protein from the dairy cows and chickens that she raised herself. Nona has fueled her body with the highest quality products. No chemicals, no growth hormones, and no insecticides. Straight up all natural and as raw as you can get. I believe that eating lots of processed food just kills our body and hurts us in the long run.
2. Physical activity people! Even though Nona has never set foot in a gym, she is constantly outside working in the garden, moving cattle, fixing the irrigation systems, repairing the broken fences, and countless other jobs. Nona has been able to stay so strong and flexible because she has ALWAYS stayed active. There is no such thing as a “rest day.” Everyday, there is something for her to do that challenges her physically. At the age of 90, she needs no help. She does everything herself. Ok, yes she has slowed down a bit, but I guarantee that my Nona can kick any other 90 year-old lady’s a#*!
3. Family. I have been very fortunate to grow up on a dairy farm and learn the true meaning of family. Family is working together, loving each other always, sitting down together at the table for dinner every night, listening intently to each other, and of course laughing endlessly together about stupid stuff that you as a family only understand. Family can bring happiness to anyone’s life. Family is the one place of comfort that you can go to at the end of the day to make your life feel at peace. Nona has led her life with family as a priority. Family has been her backbone. It is her support system through the good and the bad.

Now, I am not a nutritionist, scientist, or geneticist. I am just an accountant, but I have feeling that Nona’s lifestyle has a lot to do with longevity. By surrounding ourselves in a positive environment that includes high quality food, family and lots of love, I believe that maybe we can all be like Nona one day. Happy 90th Birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Being a product of this amazing woman, I too agree that her lifestyle had everything to do with her reaching 90! She has taught all of us so much and we tend to forget who has been our teachers as she continues to teach us every day. We are very lucky to have this woman, family, and the example of a great lifestyle. Beautiful blog, Ali, and you know in her own way how much she loves you and is proud of you. May everyone have a Nona in their life!

    ReplyDelete