The journey of life comes with obstacles. It's not about conquering those obstacles, but it's about how you handle them. I believe that life is what you make of it and it is important to capitalize on every single day. There are only so many things that you can control. The rest is out of your hands and it's important not to dwell on them. This blog is my story and the lessons I am learning along the way.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Be Kind

Be kind. It’s so simple. Treat everyone with respect even if you feel they don’t deserve it. Smile at a stranger. Always say thank you. And don’t forget those kind little gestures to show someone you care.

Today at Starbucks I was $1.02 short on my coffee card. As I was scraping to come up with the change, an older gentleman behind me pulled out a five dollar bill and handed it to the cashier and said, “this one is on me.” I insisted that it wasn’t necessary and I had enough money to pay. However, he just smiled and said, “No worries. You can get the next one. Have a great day miss.”

I think I just stood there staring at him baffled by his kindness to a complete stranger. He doesn’t know who I am, where I come from, and little did he know that I was in the middle of the craziest time at work. That gesture alone made my day. It found my smile that was in hiding.

Be kind because everyone you meet is fighting a battle. You never know how the smallest gesture can change someone’s day.

No comments:

Post a Comment