The journey of life comes with obstacles. It's not about conquering those obstacles, but it's about how you handle them. I believe that life is what you make of it and it is important to capitalize on every single day. There are only so many things that you can control. The rest is out of your hands and it's important not to dwell on them. This blog is my story and the lessons I am learning along the way.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cleaning out the Fridge Salad

I have put off going to the grocery store lately and that usually results in random things left in the fridge. I decided to put together a quick salad with what I had left. It actually turned out pretty good. With just a few ingrediants, I have come up with my "cleaning out the fridge salad."

Cleaning out the Fridge Salad:

Ingrediants:
-4 large boneless chicken breasts
-2 cups baby carrots
-3 stalks celery
-2 T. olive oil
-Chili Powder
-Salt
-Pepper

Directions:-Since it is summer and I am in a grilling mood, I grilled the chicken breasts on the grill for 10 minutes on each side on low-medium heat.
-Let chicken cool completely
-I cannot stand raw carrots, so I always roast mine. (But feel free to use raw carrots if your heart desires.) Turn oven on broil and place carrots on baking sheet. Sprinkle olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste. (I love chili powder, so I used about 1 T.) Place baking sheet in middle of oven and cook for 10 minutes. Stir carrots and cook for additional 10 minutes till carrots are tender.
-Let carrots cool.
-Cut celery, carrots and chicken into small pieces and place in bowl.
-Pour over dressing (recipe below)and add salt and pepper to taste.
-Chill in fridge or serve warm in lettuce wraps:)

Dressing Recipe:

Ingrediants:
-2 T. Olive Oil
-4 T. balsamic
-1 egg yolk
-salt and pepper
-2 T. mustard

Directions:
This is a recipe that I literally just made up. I didn't measure anything, so the above measurements are a guesstimate. Please add more or less if you find necessary.
-Whisk olive oil and balsamic vineger together. Mix in mustard and egg yolk. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Thats it! Yes, it's a simple dressing to give the salad a little extra kick. I am not really a fan of ranch, blue cheese or anything like that anymore, so it is fun to experiment to find new healthy dressings. Oh and don't be afraid to add anything else to this salad that you happen to have hanging out in the fridge:)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment